Support Our Newcomers
There are many ways you can help our Newcomers successfully achieve their employment goals. You can play an important role in their integration into our community.
Here are some examples:
- Meet with a newcomer and get to know him/her. It will help them gain a better understanding of our local culture. It will also contribute to improving their English communication skills while providing them with valuable information on interpersonal and workplace communication.
- Mentor a skilled immigrant. Develop a career-focused relationship with one of our highly-educated professional immigrants. Mentors are a valuable resource to our newcomers, as they can offer industry-specific advice, and help equip new immigrants with the knowledge needed to find meaningful work in their professional field.
- Let us know about Job Openings. Newcomers often have a hard time learning about new openings because many positions are filled before the job is actually published. It can take them months or even years to develop a network of relationships that could facilitate their access to the 'hidden job market'. When your business needs new staff, let us know, so we can pass on that information to our job seekers.
- Remove hiring barriers - Create fair and equal job opportunities. When interviewing a newcomer, focus on needed skills and whether your candidate can do them, and try to accommodate different presentation styles. Talking about one's skills or expressing an opinion could be considered rude or inappropriate in some cultures.
- Volunteer and/or Make a Donation. Your contribution will enhance our ability to provide services and programs in all areas of work that the agency is involved in.
On behalf of our former and current newcomers, we would like to express our heartfelt thank you to all employers, community members and volunteers for their support of our Newcomer Employment Service.