Foster Care and Adoption
JCFS assists and supports individuals and families considering the choice of parenthood through adoption, and offers a full range of mandated pre and post adoption services. These include infertility counselling, home studies, child placement , home birth family histories, networking with other adoption resources, and continuing education. JCFS also assists , adult adoptees seeking information through the Province of Manitoba Post-Adoption Registry, and birth parents seeking support before and after surrendering parental rights.
JCFS Steps to a Successful Adoption include:
- Information and Referral – Couples or individuals considering adoption will be given an orientation on the subject, including information about the adoption process, adoption options (e.g. domestic, private, international, etc.) and available adoption resources.
- Adoption Counselling – Couples and individuals considering adoption may benefit from the counselling of an experienced adoption professional who will guide them towards reaching the decision best suited to them and their family.
- Home Study – The Home Study, which is required for all adoptions, is conducted in a sensitive and supportive manner and
- Includes interviews, reference checks, assessments, personal and family histories, recommendations and supporting documentation. Post-Placement Supports – Once the adopted child has joined the family, the JCFS social worker makes monthly home visits to assess and facilitate the parent or parents’ transition to family life. Following this period, the social worker prepares the report and recommendations necessary for is or the court to finalize the adoption.
Other Adoption Services:
- Specialized Groups for individuals to share and receive information about adoption
- Resource materials about other community-based services
- Books, articles and other media resources about adoption
Changes to Manitoba Legislation now enable adult adoptees to request copies of their pre-adoption birth registrations. The changes, which became legal in June 2015, also allow birth parents to request an adopted child’s substituted registration of birth. Contact Randee Pollock, JCFS Adoption Services Worker at Rpollock@jcfswinnipeg.org if you were adopted through JCFS or adopted a child through JCFS and you wish to access pre-adoption birth registrations.
Download Fact Sheet - The Adoption Amendment and Vital Statistics Amendment Act (Opening Birth Records Related to Adoption)
Jewish Child and Family Service Can Help. | Call us today: 204-477-7430.